No products in the cart.
Estazol-10 ml Oral Suspension
Roll over image to zoom in
Click to open expanded view
200 mg/5 ml
Albendazole is indicated in single and mixed infestations of-
- Enterobius vermicularis
- Trichuris trichuria
- Ascaris lumbricoides
- Ancylostoma duodenale
- Necator americanus
- Taenia spp.
- Strongyloides stercoralis.
Albendazole is a benzimidazole anthelmintic, active against most nematodes and some cestodes. It is used in the treatment of intestinal nematode infections and in higher doses in the treatment of hydatid disease. Albendazole exhibits vermicidal, ovicidal, and larvicidal activity. The principal mode of action of Albendazole is its inhibitory effect on tubulin polymerization, which results in the loss of cytoplasmic microtubules.
Albendazole is a broad spectrum benzimidazole anthelminthic drug. In addition to its vermicidal properties, it has both ovicidal and larvicidal activities.
Dosage & Administration
Adults & children over 2 years:
- 400 mg (1 tablet or 10 ml suspension) as a single dose in cases of Enterobius vermicularis, Trichuris trichiura, Ascaris lumbricoides, Ancylostoma duodenale and Necator americanus.
- In cases of strongyloidiasis or taeniasis, 400 mg (1 tablet or 10 ml suspension) daily should be given for 3 consecutive days. If the patient is not cured on follow-up after three weeks, a second course of treatment is indicated.
Children of 1-2 years: Recommended dose is a single dose of 200 mg (5 ml suspension).
Children under 1 year: Not recommended.
In Hydatid disease (Echinococcosis):
- Albendazole is given by mouth with meals in a dose of 400 mg twice daily for 28 days for patients weighing over 60 kg.
- A dose of 15 mg/kg body weight daily in two divided doses (to a maximum total daily dose of 800 mg) is used for patients weighing less than 60 kg.
- For cystic echinococcosis, the 28 days course may be repeated after 14 days without treatment, to a total of 3 treatment cycles.
- For alveolar echinococcosis, cycles of 28 days of treatment followed by 14 days without treatment, may need to continue for months or years.
- In giardiasis, 400 mg (1 tablet or 10 ml suspension) once daily for five days is used.
There is no significant drug interaction of Albendazole.
It is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to the benzimidazole class of compounds or any components of the preparation.
A few cases of gastrointestinal discomfort and headache have been reported, but no definite relationship with the drug has been shown.
Pregnancy & Lactation
US FDA Pregnancy category of Albendazole is C. So, Albendazole should be avoided in pregnancy and lactation unless the potential benefits to the other outweigh the possible risks to the fetus.
Precautions & Warnings
It should be discontinued in all patients, if clinically significant decreases in blood cell counts occur.
Keep in a dry place, away from light and heat. Keep out of the reach of children.
- No ratings found yet!